How to Make Vada Pav: Vada pav or wada pav is a popular indian street food recipe prepared mainly with deep fried batata vada stuffing sandwiched between slices of Pav along with a generous amount of sweet chutney, green chutney and dry garlic chutney. It might seem like a lot of difficult work but it’s actually easy and applicable to make at home.
Pav is bascially a small bun of bread and are mostly dinner rolls. You can make them easily at home with all purpose flour or whole wheat flour. Pav is freely available in most bakeries and super stores in India.
Vada Pav is also referred as indian burger or aka bombay burger because it originated in the streets of Mumbai.
For vada pav recipe you need five elements:
- Pav – small bun of bread (dinner rolls)
- Aloo Vada – Potato balls that are dipped in chickpea flour batter and deep fried
- Green Chutney – prepared with coriander or mint.
- Dry Garlic Chutney
- Sweet Tamarind (Imli) Chutney
How To Make Vada Pav With Step-By-Step Guide:
- Firstly, in a small pan heat 2 teaspoons oil and add ½ tsp mustard seeds and crackle them. Then add a pinch of asafetida (hing) and few curry leaves. Stir and sauté it for few seconds.
- Also add 1 green chili and 5 to 6 medium-sized garlic, which have been crushed in a mortar-pestle. Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Additionally, add 2 boiled and mashed potatoes, about 350 grams.
- Then add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and ¼ tsp salt.
- Mix everything well making sure all the spices are mixed well with potato.
- Now prepare small to medium ball sized from the mashed potato mixture. Flatten these balls slightly. Cover and keep aside.
- In another bowl, make a smooth batter from 1 to 1.25 cups besan (gram flour), a pinch of asafetida, ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder, a pinch of baking soda (optional), and salt.
- Mix everything well. Add water little by little and make sure that the batter should not be too thick or thin.
- Drop the slightly flattened potato balls in the batter and coat them well with the batter.
- Gently drop these batter coated balls in medium hot oil.
- Deep fry aloo vadas on medium flame till the vada turns golden and crisp.
- Drain them on kitchen paper towelsto absorb excess oil. Keep aside.
Assembling Vada Pav Recipe:
- Slice the pav without cutting it fully into two parts.
- Spread 1 tsp green chutney, ½ tsp dry garlic chutney, and ½ tsp sweet tamarind chutney on one side of inside pav.
- Place the hot and crispy batata vada sandwiched in centre of pav.
- Finally, press the vada pav and serve immediately or else the pav becomes soggy. You can also serve some fried green chillies along with the chutneys.
Making Green Chutney
- Add 1 cup chopped coriander leaves along with 1 to 2small to medium-sized garlic cloves.
- Then add 2 to 3drops of lemon juice and 2 to 3 chopped green chillies.
- Additionally add a pinch of salt or as per choice.
Making Sweet Chutney
- Soak tamarind in hot water for few minutes.
- Now squash the pulp from the tamarind. Strain the pulp and keep aside.
- Take a small pan and heat-up the oil in it
- Further lower the flame & add cumin seeds let them
- Add asafetida, ginger powder, and red chili powder. Stir and add the strained tamarind pulp. Cook for few minutes.
- Now add some jaggery and a pinch of salt and cook for around 5 mins more. The mixture would thicken. Let the mixture get cool.
- When cooled, transfer the chutney in an air-tight dry container or jar and store it in refrigerator. Serve the tamarind chutney whenever required with chaat or snacks.